DAVOS, Switzerland, Jan. 23, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- There is a growing level of excitement about a new era of smart, connected devices and systems, but it's not necessarily a top priority for companies, according to a new survey from Flextronics.
Today, the company launched a new print and digital publication to address this evolving ecosystem, and released key findings of a survey it commissioned to measure awareness and adoption of the Internet of Things (IoT) among business leaders across a wide range of industries. While discussing a new 'era of intelligence' triggered by IoT at the World Economic Forum Annual Meeting, Flextronics unveiled initial results, including:
- IoT adoption is growing.
- Today, an average of 42 percent of products at the companies surveyed contain IoT embedded technology.
- The average is expected is to grow to 50 percent in two years and 66 percent in five years.
- IoT is a key to company growth and business leaders want their companies to invest in and prioritize IoT.
- 86 percent believe IoT will be important for a company's success in the future.
- Compared to other innovations in technology, nearly 9 in 10 (88 percent) consider the "Internet of Things" very or somewhat important.
- However, companies are not highly prioritizing, preparing, or investing in R&D around IoT.
- 44 percent report that an IoT strategy is currently a high priority for their company, but 66 percent believe it should be a high priority - a 22 percent gap.
"As we move into this era of intelligence, we believe the future it is going to be quite a bit different as we interact with our environment easier and more quickly. And putting a new kind of intuition in the things that we interact with isn't just about making the devices smarter, it is about making how we live a lot smarter," said Mike McNamara, CEO of Flextronics.
To illustrate the power of this emerging age, Flextronics also today launched INTELLIGENCE, a physical and digital publication that gives readers and viewers an early, inside look at the IoT revolution. The publication launched at the World Economic Forum Annual Meeting and is available online at www.theintelligenceofthings.com, introducing visitors to designers, engineers and manufacturers at the forefront of this new kind of collaborative innovation.
About the Survey
The survey was commissioned by Flextronics and conducted online by Edelman Berland, an independent global market research firm, between December 18, 2014 and January 7, 2015. The survey included 348 Senior Business Leaders who had heard of the term "Internet of Things" and has a margin of error of +5.3%. Respondents represent a wide range of industries and products and serve as leaders at companies that are Flextronics customers or associates.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/according-to-new-survey-from-flextronics-iot-is-key-to-growth-but-companies-may-not-make-it-a-top-priority-300024799.html
News Provided by Acquire Media